Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Touch of Ocean Blue...and My Dresser is DONE!

I am in LOVE.

Okay, well that's probably a tad bit over-dramatic but this might be my favorite crafting project ever! When I decided to re-do my dresser I knew that I not only wanted to paint it, I wanted to change the entire feeling of it. I knew that I wanted a little bit of an ocean look, which meant I needed to bring a little bit of teal into the mix. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but a little craft project was involved.

Now, just get ready for a photo-overloaded post!


Here's where we started. I used these two glass containers on my dresser to hold makeup brushes, beauty tools, and other items. The jars are from Bath and Body Works candles. Once I finished burning the candles, I use hot water to fill the jars and let all the wax rise to the top. Then I clean out the jars thoroughly.



After I emptied out the jars I got started!



All the supplies I needed for this project were Glossy Mod Podge and Food Coloring (I used neon to get the color that I wanted).

I mixed a little bit of food coloring in with some mod podge and just a tiny bit of water into the styrofoam cup. I used a styrofoam cup and a plastic spoon to do the mixing so I wouldn't have any clean up and wouldn't accidentally ruin anything =)


I mixed the mod podge in until I had a color that I wanted.


Then I swished the color around in the jar, moving it sideways and upside down until it completely covered the inside. I did try using the foam paint brush but it didn't work as well, so I would definitely recommend just moving the jar around to completely coat it.




After, both jars were completely covered in gorgeous blue paint, it was time to bake them in the oven! I baked them at 200*

I wish I could tell you how long I baked them for...but I honestly don't know. It was a LONG LONG time.


I waited..



and waited...

and waited...





Finally I was able to take them out. They were still a little splotchy on the bottom because I didn't pour out the excess liquid before baking them, not smart! That's okay though because I had a plan that would make that not matter at all...


I filled them with beads!


Look how pretty those makeup brushes look inside! Love love love.


I decided that while I was working with all these items I might as well toss some things I don't use.


So pretty!


The next jar was a little more difficult. I ended up finding new homes for a few things...


These are the things I got rid of...I had too many tweezers, I think two pairs will suffice just fine.


and these items found new homes!







Beautiful.

They look so happy in their new home!!


And then I took some pictures of how beautiful everything looks...






How gorgeous does that look? What a huge difference!


and this is what I see from my bed...what a gorgeous view (which will be even better once my bookshelf is back in commission!)

Now lets have a before and after shall we?

         


So beautiful! What a huge transformation...and one that reflects my personality better and makes me feel calmer in my bedroom space!

Have you done any projects to your bedroom lately?

1 comment:

  1. The jewelry candle is an elegant way to give the gift of jewelry without guilt. Fashionistas all over the world can appreciate the beauty of the jewelry candle. There are many different colors that the jewelry candle comes in. Customers can choose any color that they prefer that will accentuate their outfits. A custom Candles with Rings Inside is personally engraved with the desired name and date of the special occasion. The best part of the jewelry candle is that it can be lit to find out the surprise found inside!

    ReplyDelete