Monday, January 7, 2013

Florida Vacation (Part 1)

The day after Christmas my mom, dad and I (and Roxy) headed off to Florida- which took two full days of travel. The first day of traveling was completely awful! I would never recommend that anyone travels on December 26th! It took far too long to get from Rhode Island into Virginia. We had planned on stopping for the night in North Carolina but we ended up pulling off the highway around 8:30 because the traffic was too awful to go any further. 

I would like to point out that I traveled the entire trip in the backseat of a Ford truck. Have you ever sat in the backseat of a truck for 20+ hours? It sucks!

Guess who had a better seat than me....yup Roxy of course- she got to sit in the front seat!

On day number two- I had a bit of an issue ordering lunch in Subway while at a gas station in Georgia... I ordered a "chicken parm grinder" and the girl behind the counter went to ask her manager what a grinder was....

This got me thinking about all the things that I say in Rhode Island that are not understood elsewhere in the United States, or anywhere else in the world for that matter!

  1. Grinder = a sandwich! What you order at a sandwich shop like Subway.
  2. Bubbler (also pronounced "bubblah") = a water fountain you drink from.
  3. Wicked= awesome
  4. Dells = Dell's Lemonade, the best drink in the entire world, especially the watermelon one!
  5. Idear = Idea. We like to add an R to this word =)
  6. Jimmies = sprinkles on a sundae or ice cream!
Do you have any sayings from your area that aren't common in other areas of the world??

If you have ever watched Family Guy, you will hear a bunch of Rhode Island sayings- however there is no place called Quahog in Rhode Island. (I say this because I have been asked MANY times.....)

After the Georgia-Subway-Grinder incident, we drove the rest of the way to Vero Beach, FL and arrived in the late evening. We had a nice relaxing evening and were able to sleep in late on Friday. 
We spent Friday relaxing and just getting a few errands done because my Uncle Craig and cousins Annabel and Cailean arrived on Friday night....

(to be continued!)

No comments:

Post a Comment