Friday, October 4, 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling

When it was discovered that Robert Galbraith, the author of The Cuckoo's Calling was actually a pseudonym for J.K Rowling, it went right to the top of my to-read list. 

Although I had read her most recent novel and wasn't able to finish it, I knew I had to try this one since I loved the Harry Potter series so much. I started reading it with a little wariness because I had heard mixed reviews about the novel but I was surprised that I loved it as much as I did!

CuckoosCallingCover.jpg

The Cuckoo's Calling centers around a private detective named Cormoran Strike who is hired to investigate the murder of a famous model. Cormoran is a little down on his luck as of late and has just ended a relationship with his fiancĂ© and is forced to reside in his office. Cormoran uses a temporary secretary and when this book begins and new woman is starting named Robin. Robin is extremely interested in detective work and takes her new job very seriously. 

Cormoran is hired by John Bristow to investigate the murder of his sister Lula Landry and throughout a tons of ups and downs, Cormoran manages to solve the mystery with the help of Robin. Throughout the story I thought I knew who the killer was many times and was completely shocked by the outcome. J.K Rowling uses her skills as a writer to make readers believe that several people are guilty, but the actual killer was someone I never expected. 

Isn't that the best kind of book, when you can't predict the ending?

Anyways, I highly recommend this novel if you haven't read it yet. I'm usually not a crime novel type of person, but I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book and even though it was very long I never got bored once!

Have you read any awesome books lately? What are you reading right now/What is next on your list?

Right now I'm working on The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks, review to come when I finish!

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment